I don’t know about you, but I love to go on a trip. It really doesn’t matter to me if it is by plane or by car. I just like to travel. What I am not so fond of is packing my suitcase. I tend to take too much because I like to have some of everything.
So here are some tips for packing that help me:
- Check the weather for the location before starting to pack.
- Invest in a bag you really like. I am a fan of Vera Bradley products because they are well organized and have lots of pockets.
- Pack one outfit per day unless there is a special event that requires another outfit.
- Take 2-3 pairs of shoes.
- Try on outfits before packing.
- Pack outfits in packing cubes or ZipLoc 1 gallon or 2 gallon bags.
- Roll your clothes to maximize the space and to cut down on wrinkles.
- Put the heavy items, like shoes, at the bottom of the bag by the wheels.
- Consider using a backpack for your carry on item. You can have your hands free, plus once you get to your destination you have a nice day trip bag.
When I get home from a trip I unpack everything and see if there was stuff I did not use. I restock my toiletries and put all my travel items (including the Ziploc bags if they are still in good shape) back into my suitcase. Then the next time I am heading out of town I will have a head start on packing.